Stay safe while banking online
Protect yourself when you bank online or on a mobile device
To help protect your identity and other important information, follow these safety tips.
Online security tips
- Do not use your Social Security number as a username or password.
- Change your usernames and passwords regularly and use combinations of letters, numbers, and special characters such as # and @.
- Do not use your online banking username and passwords as credentials for other online accounts.
- Protect your online passwords. Don’t write them down or share them with anyone.
- Protect your answers to security questions. Select questions and provide answers that are easy for you to remember, but hard for others to guess.
- Use secure websites for transactions and shopping. Shop with merchants you know and trust. Always log off from online banking and any website after using your credit or debit card, or other sensitive information.
- Close your browser when you’re not using the internet.
- Be cautious when using public hotspots and consider your Wi-Fi auto-connect settings.
Mobile banking security tips
- Use the keypad lock or phone lock function on your mobile device when it is not in use.
- Frequently delete text messages from your financial institution, especially before loaning, discarding, or selling your mobile device.
- Never disclose via text message, phone call, or email your personal or financial information, including account numbers, passwords, Social Security number, or birth date.
- Avoid storing your banking password or other sensitive information on your smartphone where it could be discovered if your phone is stolen.
- Keep your mobile operating system up to date to ensure the highest level of protection. Before downloading an update to your mobile device be sure to go to the company’s website to confirm the update is legitimate.
- Be cautious when using public hotspots.
- Download mobile apps from reputable sources only to ensure the safety of your personal and account information.
Click the Next button to continue.