Tips for negotiating
Don’t be afraid to ask for what you’re worth
If the offer you receive doesn’t have everything that you are looking for, consider negotiating.
Follow these tips to negotiate wisely — always be courteous and respectful.
- Do not negotiate for a change if you’re not willing to turn down the job without it.
- Make sure your list of items to negotiate is small and includes the things most important to you.
- If you’re negotiating your salary or hourly rate, be sure you’ve done your research and know the typical range in your location — both high and low.
- Always be willing to compromise.
- Be realistic and try to avoid getting emotional. This is a business transaction.
- If you can’t reach an agreement, ask if you can think about the offer again until the next day.
Another quick tip — once you counter the initial offer or provide an alternate suggestion, take a pause, and allow the employer to digest the information and respond.
Click the Next button to learn how to accept or decline a job offer.