Getting started with PCS planning

As soon as you receive your Permanent Change of Station (PCS) orders, schedule a meeting with the relocation manager in your family center. This person can help you figure out which programs can help offset the cost of your move. You can also contact a Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) pay representative.

A family packing boxes for a move.

You’ll need to decide whether to have the move handled by the Transportation Management Office (TMO) or a Do It Yourself (DITY) move, where you coordinate the move.

You’ll want to understand your benefits — both reimbursed and unreimbursed costs.

You’ll also need to decide how you will pay for unreimbursed moving expenses, such as rental or utility deposits. Do you have enough savings to cover the expenses? Will you need to save more? Or will you need to temporarily borrow money?

Understanding your benefits and planning ahead will help the move go smoother and reduce the stress from last-minute surprises.

Click the Next button to continue.