Overseas, Alaska, and Hawaii PCS benefits

A navy ship in a harbor.

Relocation benefits for overseas, Alaska, and Hawaii

Military members who receive PCS orders to move overseas, or to Alaska or Hawaii may receive relocation benefits also known as OCONUS, or Outside Continental United States.

Instructions: Click each benefit to learn more.

Overseas Cost of Living Allowance (OCOLA)

If you are moving overseas or to Hawaii or Alaska, you could receive the OCOLA. This allowance will help you maintain your purchasing power, so you can purchase the same goods and services at approximately the same cost as items in the Continental United States. This allowance does not reimburse your expenses, but is designed to offset the higher costs of items overseas. To calculate your OCOLA rate, use the overseas COLA calculator on the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Overseas Housing Allowance (OHA)

You may receive the OHA if you are living in private housing at an overseas duty station. The OHA will help you with housing costs, such as rent and utilities. You must apply for this allowance, so check with the local housing office or local commander to learn the procedures you must follow.
To find the maximum rental allowance you can receive, use the OHA calculator on the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Temporary Lodging Allowance (TLA)

The TLA benefit can partially reimburse servicemembers who incur more than normal expenses (including meals) while in temporary housing.
This allowance is calculated based on different factors. For help understanding this allowance, talk to your relocation manager, or visit the TLA FAQ on the Defense Travel Management Office website.

Move-In Housing Allowance (MIHA)

If you decide to live in private housing at an overseas installation, the MIHA may be helpful to you. This allowance reimburses you for one-time rent-related expenses, home modification for security purposes, or the initial cost of making your home habitable.

Click the Next button to continue.