PCS relocation benefits

Understand what benefits are available for PCS

The following basic forms of assistance are for servicemembers who are moving to a base in the Continental United States. (Benefits for overseas, Alaska, and Hawaii relocation are listed on the next page.)
As benefits are subject to change, use the list of resources at the bottom of the page for the most up-to-date information from the Department of Defense. Also remember to take advantage of your on-base resources.

PCS relocation benefits

Instructions: Click each relocation benefit to learn more.

Dislocation Allowance (DLA)

This benefit was designed to help you pay for miscellaneous moving costs, such as rental and utility security deposits. The amount of your DLA is computed using your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH). While this benefit is typically paid one time for every PCS move, there are exceptions. Visit the Defense Travel Management Office website (defensetravel.dod.mil) to find your BAH or learn more about DLA exceptions.

Per Diem Allowance

As you travel to your new location, you are provided a per diem allowance for meals and lodging. The amount of your per diem allowance is created using three factors:

  1. How many days you’re travelling
  2. The Continental United States (CONUS) standard per diem rate
  3. Age of the travelers

Visit the Defense Travel Management Office website (defensetravel.dod.mil) for specific information about relocation benefits, including BAH rates, per diem rates, meal rates, and more.

Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT)

If you are able to drive to your new base, you may be reimbursed with the Monetary Allowance in Lieu of Transportation (MALT) benefit. You will receive a flat rate per mile based on the Official Military Table of Distances and the number of authorized travelers in the vehicle. Visit the Defense Travel Management Office website (defensetravel.dod.mil) for details.
A family gathered in front of their car.

Temporary Lodging Expense (TLE)

This benefit can partially offset the costs of temporary housing and meals incurred while you wait for permanent lodging (in the Continental United States only). The TLE is computed using a formula that uses several factors, including your pay grade, number of family members and more. Your family center relocation manager can help you determine the TLE.
A couple checking in to a hotel.

Advance Basic Pay

You may request up to three months of basic pay in advance. This is basically an interest-free loan that you must pay back. Typically you’ll pay this amount back in 12 equal installments. If you don’t have enough savings to cover unreimbursed expenses, such as rental or utility deposits, a pay advance might be helpful. Remember, this is a loan that must be repaid and will decrease future paychecks — use this option wisely.

Advance Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)

If you choose to live off base at your new location, you may receive an advance against your normal BAH. This advance is usually granted on a case-by-case basis — check with your relocation manager.

Click the Next button to continue.