Under-reporting of abuse
Elder abuse is often under-reported.
Unfortunately, elder abuse is often not reported — creating a problem that can devastate families.
Why does this happen? A victim’s reluctance to report can occur for many reasons including:
- Shame and embarrassment (especially if the perpetrator is a family member)
- Fear that the perpetrator will get in trouble
- Worry and fear that he/she will be forced to live in assisted living or a nursing home
- Guilt and blame
- Denial that what he or she is experiencing is actually abuse
- Fear that the abuse will worsen after reporting or that others will not believe him/her
- Difficulties in speaking or communicating with others
Click the Next button to continue.