Learn about a government-sponsored program that may allow you to earn money to help pay education expenses.

The Federal Work-Study Program provides jobs for undergraduate and graduate students with financial need. The amount you can earn depends on your level of need, your school’s funding level, and when you apply. The jobs offered encourage community service and work related to your course of study.

Three sets of students — two girls are studying, another girl is using a microscope, and man is hauling a bag of flour.

If you work on campus, you’ll usually work for your school. If you work off campus, your employer will typically be a private nonprofit organization or public agency.

When assigning work hours, your employer or financial aid administrator will consider your class schedule and your academic progress. You’ll earn at least the current federal minimum wage or higher depending on the type of work you do and the skills required.

Note: Work-study jobs usually pay by the hour. At least once a month, you’ll get a paycheck from your school. The amount you earn cannot exceed your total federal work-study award.

Click the Next button to explore student loans.