Owning a pet can bring a lot of happiness to your life but they are a huge responsibility. It is important to understand what kind of commitment you are making upfront.
1. Start by asking yourself these questions to determine if you have the means the take care of a pet. These questions can help you narrow down the type of pet you may be interested in.
- Time Commitment
- Take a close look at your schedule. Do you have the amount of time it requires to tend to a new pet?
- Space (Internal & External)
- Examine your living or housing arrangement. Do you have the space necessary to house the type of pet you want?
- Does the type of pet you want need to be outdoors? Do you have a designated outdoor area for your pet?
- Different pets come with different costs. How much money do you have to spare in your monthly budget to buy and take care of your pet?
2. Once you figure out the time commitment, space, and money necessary for the pet you can use this budget below to determine the potential cost of your pet.
|One Time Expenses|
|The Actual Pet|
|Taking Care of Business|
|Collar/Tags Litter Box|
|Training PadsPoo Bags|
|Food and Water Bowls/ Feeder|
|Food Mat/ Feeding Area|
|Vet Bills – Shots, Medication, Annual Exams|
|Pet Insurance Premiums/Pet Wellness Plan|
|While You’re Away|
|Play/Just for Fun|
|Apartment/Condo/Rental Pet Rent|