Your credit picture
What’s your credit picture today? Review and print this list. Mark the statements that are true for your situation.
- I manage my savings and checking account well and never spend more than my balance.
- I frequently monitor the activity in my accounts.
- I have one or more credit cards and pay my bill on time, every month.
- I pay as much of my credit card bill as I can each month – always at least the minimum amount.
- Less than 10% of my monthly income goes toward paying off credit card bills.
- I always comparison shop for credit cards and loans.
- I never sign loan papers unless I completely understand the terms first.
- I have built my credit by taking out a small loan and repaying it monthly — in full and on time.
- I know what my current credit score is.
- I know how I can improve my credit score and have taken steps to do so.
- I know how to order a free copy of my credit report.
- I have reviewed my credit report in the last 12 months and checked it for errors.
- If I find an error in my credit report, I know how to get it corrected.
- My total debt is less than 20% of my annual net income.
- If I’m having problems repaying a debt, I contact the lender right away to discuss what to do.
If 8 or more are true, congratulations: you’re on your way to using credit to your advantage! Wherever you are today, the valuable lessons in this topic can help you improve your credit picture.
Click the Next button to continue.