Report the abuse

You should report elder financial abuse

Currently, there is no national reporting mechanism to track the financial exploitation of elders. However, each state has its own reporting requirements and many professional organizations work with the elderly as “mandated reporters” by state statute.

By law, mandated reporters are people who have accepted full or partial care or custody of an elder, regardless of compensation. This can include licensed staff at any public or private facility that provides care or services for the elderly, such as:

  • Health practitioners (doctors, nurses, etc.)
  • Law enforcement agents
  • County welfare department staff
  • Any person providing health or social services to elders
  • Employees at financial institutions

If you suspect a friend or loved one is being abused (financially or otherwise), report it to your local adult protective services agency or law enforcement.

If you believe that an elder is in a life threatening situation, contact 911 or the local law enforcement department.

Click the Next button to continue.