what to do when you’re offered the job
After weeks or months of searching, it’s exciting when you’re offered a job, but it can also be a little intimidating. This decision can suddenly seem a bit difficult, but evaluating job offers is an important part of the process.
factors to consider
There are many things to think about when accepting a job offer. These factors will help you decide whether or not the job is the right fit for you. Download, read and print the Factors to Consider PDF and then enter your own notes
TIPS FOR NEGOTIATING
If the offer you receive doesn’t have everything that you are looking for, consider negotiating. Follow these tips to negotiate.
- Be realistic and try to avoid getting emotional. This is a business transaction.
- Always be willing to compromise.
- Do not negotiate for a change if you’re not willing to turn down the job without it.
- Make sure your list of items to negotiate is small and includes the things most important to you.
- If you’re negotiating your salary or hourly rate, be sure you’ve done your research and know the typical range in your location.
- If you can’t reach an agreement, ask if you can think about the offer again until the next day.
Another quick tip. Once you counter the initial offer or provide an alternate suggestion, take a pause, and allow the employer to digest the information and respond.
aCCEPTING OR DECLINING A JOB OFFER
Whether you accept or decline the job, be sure your message is received well. The top two outcomes of your job offer evaluation are to accept or decline. You can also ask for more time to make your decision.